Thursday

Pushing Gifts: Forget the Baby, I Want A Bauble.

Congratulations! A Bauble is Born at 2:05 am!
 Weight, 3 Carats
We are SO proud!


Am I the only one who is annoyed by the concept of a "pushing gift?"   I mean, if we, as a society, don't think that the greatest gift of a baby is enough, I don't know what to say.  Where do we draw line?  When do we say enough is enough.  I am certain this started in the Upper Snobbery of Wealthy County and has trickled down onto the rest of us to now deal with.  As if it doesn't cost enough to get a crib, a nursery set up, clothes, diapers, gadgets, car seats...nope, now dads need to spring for a pushing gift!?  This is crazy. To answer your question, no, I'm not bitter that I never got a pushing gift with any of my three babies, instead I got hemmoroids and stretch marks. What I did get, however, are three healthy beautiful babies.

What about these pushing gifts? The gifts aren't even simple!  Women are dropping hints of jewelry and Tiffany gifts, and suggesting they need a rock to thank them for all of their labor.  Honestly, the only rock I wanted, was my husband.  I needed him to be strong through the delivery, and even stronger in the days, nights, and weeks to come!  So here, take the bauble, and bring me your brawn.  I need you..save the jewelry for my birthday or Valentine's Day, or better yet, surprise me some day just because.

Nothing says "all I did to contribute to this baby was ejaculate" quite like a gift from Tiffanys.

I'm not saying everyone is an asshole that gives or gets pushing gifts - but do we really need to insist on it because "everyone else is doing it?"  What are we, back in Junior High?  And if we are going to get rewarded for pushing, why not really get the gift that we deserve? How about the "oops, I- just- crapped -in the- delivery- bed-gift"?  Or how about a shirt that says, "I lost my dignity at Cedars Hospital and all I got was this stupid tshirt?"  I know, how about some nice plastic Mardi Gras beads for showing your tits to anyone and everyone who walks into your birthing room during your stay?  Now those are some fun gifts worth a laugh or two.

Should we get beads for every time someone walks in on us manuevering our boobs around the baby?

Can we get real for a minute?  This is borderline offensive.  Women who have to have a c-section don't get a gift?  Whoever coined the term Push Gift gave a big F U to C-section women.  Sorry ladies, there is no I-Ripped-Opened-My-Abdomen Accolades Gift!  You get a nice scar to wear around your belly instead of a Tiffany's diamond belly button ring.  Try harder next time for a vaginal delivery!

Sorry C-Section Ladies!  NO GIFT FOR YOU!

Let's be honest.  Your wife just gave you the most incredible gift in the world, a baby, after carrying it and suffering for nine long months from heartburn, nausea, constipation, etc.  There is NO gift that you can give her to pay her back, except being a great husband and father.  Want to give her a gift? Super, do it. But do it because you want to, not because you are expected to!

That's all the ranting I have for today.  If you get a gift, enjoy it..but let's stop the madness and appreciate the gift of life and of healthy babies! 

Love and Loyally Yours,
~DG

15 comments:

  1. oh no. this is the first I've heard of this. I call bullshit. Baby is the gift and being a good father and husband. What is wrong with people?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for DB to come. I am flying there to personally tutor you in all the bs you need to know. xo Hurry DB, we are waiting for you and love you already!

      Delete
  2. Agreed! Seems like I'M the one who did the gift-giving when deliverying my children. I mean my Mother-In-Law received the gift that keeps on givin' the WHOLE year...it's an image burned into her brain. (SHE'S the one who chose the chair at the end of my bed...NOW she fully understands the need for episiotomies!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG how funny! And ridiculous too! I was like.."EVERYBODY OUT!" Except poor hubs!

      Delete
    2. After 10 years she's just now able to look me in the eyes again...i warned her! ;-)

      Delete
  3. I love my healthy kids and I don't regret how long it took to heal those C-section scars. After pushing for 10 hours and then having a C with the first one my body gets the best of both worlds (yuck), but my kids are my gifts!! (I can say that easily because they are at school and they didn't stress me out this morning!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree Sandi! The best gift ever..and some days, the biggest P.I.T.A. Love those babies!

      Delete
  4. I laughed when I heard of push gifts. I worked with someone whom got one and said it was the least her husband could do for her. Um, my hubby was there with me the whole time, took care of our daughter after I got sick, thanks to the douchebag doctors mistake (long story) and then he took care of both of us when we finally got home. I guess I didn't "deserve" a push gift since I had a c-section, but I pushed for almost 3 hours thanks to DB doctor who couldn't be bothered to see me. Anyway, my gift was my daughter who was healthy and perfect. My hubby did give me a gift a few hears later...a vasectomy so there won't be anymore! :). I would like an "it's Tuesday gift", but I didn't need anything for having my daughter. That's insane!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree with you. Being there to chase people out of the room, ask the staff for anything I needed, changing diapers (way more of them than I did), feeding me while the baby was nursing, being by my side to stare at our gorgeous baby... THOSE were the gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just heard about this recently. Stupidest. Idea. Ev-ER!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who is the designer of that chocolate stoned bow tie ring at the top? Anybody know? I'm in love with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! It is cute isn't it..this is the only info I have..hope you can find it. ;)
      http://www.hollylady.com/picture.php?/1776/category/jewellery

      Delete
  8. When I read the first paragraph, I had to read it all over again. I had absolutely no idea what a push gift is! Fortunately too.
    I think I'd be insulted too if I ever got one. I mean, bearing a child and giving birth is so special and something a man can never experience. Now I had it easy compared to what girls wrote here. Morgan came out after 3 pushes, Duncan at the first push after a labour of 3.5 hours (Morgans delivery took about14 hours).
    My Beloved was there when I needed him and still is. That is worth so much more than any push gift possible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Push present. Though the name is a bit silly, I do agree with the idea. Here’s the reason:
    People are getting the wrong idea about the tradition. The tradition is designed to give the mother something that she will have for the rest of her life that commemorates her experience of bringing a new life into the world. The actual gift itself should be symbolic of an endless love and desire for protection of the mother and child throughout their lives. It’s deep, emotional, and beautiful. That being said, new shoes would not fall into the category of a “perfect push present”, and it is not a selfish act but rather a self-LESS act of kindness and joy. Juno Lucina just launched a whole line of beautiful push gifts for new mothers (www.jlucina.com). That is what the perfect push gift looks like.

    ReplyDelete

Support random acts of kindness and leave me a nice comment..it totally counts as a good deed.