Monday

What Did You Do Today, Honey?



Everyday at my house is like the movie Groundhog Day.  I try to tweak what I did wrong the day before, only to hit a different snag. 

Not long ago, this cute little ditty buzzed around on email chains...and it got me thinking. How do you compare the day of a person who goes to work and the day of a person that stays home with the kids?  Read on..

What Did You Do All Day?

A man came home from work and found his three children outside, still in their pajamas, playing in the mud, with empty food boxes and wrappers strewn all around the front yard.

The door of his wife’s car was open, as was the front door to the house and there was no sign of the dog.
Proceeding into the entry, he found an even bigger mess. A lamp had been knocked over, and the throw rug was wadded against one wall.

In the front room the TV was loudly blaring a cartoon channel, and the family room was strewn with toys and various items of clothing
.
In the kitchen, dishes filled the sink, breakfast food was spilled on the counter, the fridge door was open wide, dog food was spilled on the floor, a broken glass lay under the table, and a small pile of sand was spread by the back door.

He quickly headed up the stairs, stepping over toys and more piles of clothes, looking for his wife. He was worried she might be ill, or that something serious had happened.

He was met with a small trickle of water as it made its way out the bathroom door.

As he peered inside he found wet towels, scummy soap, and more toys strewn over the floor. Miles of toilet paper lay in a heap and toothpaste had been smeared over the mirror and walls.

As he rushed to the bedroom, he found his wife still curled up in the bed in her pajamas, reading a novel.

She looked up at him, smiled, and asked how his day went. He looked at her bewildered and asked:

“What happened here today?’”

She again smiled and answered, “You know every day when you come home from work and you ask me what in the world I do all day?”

“Yes,” was his incredulous reply.

She answered, ‘”Well, today I didn’t do it.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Investopedia did this brilliant article on how much a SAHM actually is worth in salary terms:
The life of a homemaker is one that includes an endless amount of demands and to-dos. Depending on the size of the home and family, the position of homemaker can go well beyond the usual nine to five. We examined some of the tasks that a homemaker might do to find out how much his or her services would net as individual professional careers. We only take into consideration tasks which have monetary values and use the lowest value for each calculation.
After taking into consideration the salaries of a chef, drycleaner, maid, taxi driver, lawn care, and child care, the total equalled almost $100,000!!

They summed it up with this statement:
The daily work of a homemaker can sometimes be taken for granted by his or her family members. However, these services could earn a homemaker a considerable wage if he or she took those skills to the marketplace. Homemakers in general contribute a lot more to the home in addition to these tasks, and no amount of money can fill those needs.

We are PRICELESS! And for the record, working moms deserve double for trying to do it all!

Men:  Never ask your SAHM-wife what she did today. (How about rephrasing it like "Tell me how your day went!" And then sit back and be prepared to listen, not judge; just nod your head, laugh when appropriate, sigh when needed, and be ready to say, "I don't know how you do it.."
You should assume that she did not have a moment's peace, and if she did, she was most likely running in 10 different directions trying to get 20 things done while the kids were quiet.  Just think about it in these terms for a moment when comparing what you got done at work, in peace and what she got done at home with the kids.

 Did you have to fish out your stapler or any other object out of the toilet?

 Because after looking for 10 minutes for my favorite hairclip, I finally found it at the bottom of the toilet.

Did you serve as a Human Kleenex to anyone in the office today?
 Because Junior sneezed on me, cleaning out 3 months of bacteria from his nose.
 

Did you have to put a tv show on for your secretary so you could sneak out and pee in peace?
 I did, and after being gone for about 32 seconds, I heard loud screams asking where I went!
 

Did you go to pay for something and pull out a superhero's head out of your wallet instead?
I did, and at the bottom of my purse I also found several Lego Lightsabers that you accused me of vacuuming up last week. ((For the record, that wasn't a Lightsaber I vacuumed up, it was a Lego head).
 

Did an associate come in every 10 minutes and ask you for some juice? 
 Because I wasn't able  to go a half hour without at least two of our children telling me they were thirsty.

My Lord how much can children drink in a day?  It never ends!

Were you able to carry on a simple conversation over the phone? Better yet, did you get pelted in the back of the head with random flying objects during your conversation ?

 Because the second that phone hit MY ear, I was attacked by wild savages with Lego Dart Guns.

 
I'm on the phone dammit!

Did you spend 1/2 of your day looking for things?
 I did!
Mom, where's my __, have you seen my__, where did you put my__?

Finally, were you able to finish your sentences in a timely, orderly manner?
 Because, what was the question again? Sigh.
Let's face it, staying home with the kids  is work and alot of it. Yet, we have that heavy duty guilty feeling lingering over us because we have the greatest job on earth and are fortunate enough to stay home!  The only way to get through it is with humor and the fact that it does get easier and the time goes way too fast.  They are such precious little creatures and we ARE the center of their worlds.  We need patience, love, and the humility to know that we are not perfect, we are moms..just doing the best we can. 

Today's irony, is that I am off to sub at my kids' preschool, a job that I absolutely love doing, but a job that I could, no doubt ,answer YES to many of those questions to the working people.  Good thing I've been blessed with a huge heart, lots of patience and a ridiculously insatiable love of kids.  Make it a great day friends!  And have I mentioned how grateful I am to have you? 
Yours..
~DG




10 comments:

  1. Before my kids started school I stayed home during the day and waitressed at night. My husband was in charge while I worked. When I came home the house was always a disaster, the sink was full of dishes and I would spend until all hours of the night cleaning up again. Now the kids are in school (1st and 3rd grade) and I am a lunch lady by day and still waitress at night. Plus I do all the cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc. Trust me when I say I would love to be a SAHM, they don't know how easy they have it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you...wish there was a happy medium.

      Delete
    2. So because I do both, I get two salaries?

      Delete
  2. Thank you, thank you, thank you for the working mom trying to do it all comment. I find myself dangerously close to meltdown at least once a month from exhaustion. I feel like if I have to remember one more thing...like my preschooler's homework, share toy, new toothpaste because he squeezed it all out in the sink last night, new jeans because suddenly two pairs have holes in the knees...I am going to forget how to tie my shoes or eat. Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so hard to balance everything! I've been both - and would love to find the happy medium!

      Delete
  3. As a SAHM I do have it easier than the vast majority of working moms (just not the ones with nannies/housekeepers) and I feel blessed for everyday that I get to remain at home, especially in this economy...even when my kids are driving me batty. But I do really, really wish the hubs would learn to rephrase that "what did you do today" especially on days when the house is a mess because I'm positive I was busy with a million and one things none of which involved tv or Bon bons but it has clearly been a rough day and I can't for the life of me name enough of them to explain how I filled eight hours up and still didn't get dinner made!! This isn't an everyday occurrence, so when he walks in to this I wish he'd just give a hug and pitch in...or better yet, distract the kids for a few!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh I love this post. I give all the credit in the world to SAHM. I wonder if I could do it. You are my heroes. As often as I feel like I work with children at my job, it is nothing compared to what you do every day. Much respect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I stopped over from "People I Want to Punch in the Throat". This post made me laugh! I love the "What did you do today?" I need to read that to my husband later. So true! I think he appreciates what I do, but doesn't really realize how MUCH it actually is!!

    Take care,
    Jennifer
    www.pletcher5journey.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a SAHM, and that's all I wanted to be growing up...Now I wonder on a daily basis what I was thinking. I had to share on Facebook for all my friends who are SAHM as well so we can all giggle at the fact that we're not alone.

    ReplyDelete

Support random acts of kindness and leave me a nice comment..it totally counts as a good deed.