Monday

The Junk Drawer..You Know You've Got One Too..



I try.  I try to be tidy.  I try to keep my shit organized.  I do.  I pick up Legos.  I pick up trinkets, and pencils and stuff from around the house on a daily basis.  I keep my closets as organized as I can.  I stay on top of stuff because I know it'll just snowball and make more work for me if I don't.  That being said, I DO have one dirty little secret.  The Junk Drawer.  It's the one drawer in the house that I absolutely REFUSE to clean out.  I know that if I do, if I throw any of its contents away, I will most certainly need it within days of tossing. 



This drawer includes, but is not limited to, the following contents:
*Number Birthday Candles 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Darth Vader, Superman, Elmo and Spiderman.  None of them are in any kind of shape to be used again - so why am I saving them?

I can't bring myself to throw out any of the candles my kids had for their baby parties.  Shit, I'm about 2 birthdays away from Hoarder- status aren't I?
*Buttons:  I do not sew, so I am baffled as to why I feel compelled to keep the countless buttons attached to my sweaters, tops and coats.
*Shoelaces:  Why?  Because you never know when you will need a pair of shoelaces?
*Rubber Grippy Jar Opener:  I use this about once a year when  I stumble upon a jar of Salsa that is sealed with a death grip.

No stubborn lid is going to get between me and my nachos.  I can't throw out the gripper!
*New Batteries - probably mixed with old batteries for all I know.  They are thrown in there to drown in a sea of rubbish and I am too lazy to find out if they work.
*Bottle Openers - none of which I remember are in there when I actually need one.
*Ball Pump - this I have to blame on the kids.  They put it in there, and it never fails, when they are looking for it, they open the drawer and swear it's not in there.  It hasn't been moved for years - so it is still there, but as with everything else, only my eyes can actually see it clearly enough to find it.
*Countless Rubber Bands - that I end up using to pull my hair back when I'm cooking because I can't find one bloody hair rubber band on the first floor.  I end up losing 20 strands of hair trying to take those bastards out! OUCH!
*Address Book - containing addresses, phone numbers, and little memos from the 80s - you know, when people actually called and wrote each other.  I know it's obsolete now since I have all of my contacts in my laptop - but I keep it for nostalgic reasons.



One of these days I'm going to lose it when I go to open that drawer and it jams on me like it usually does and I'm going to throw the whole damn thing in the garbage.   But until then, it remains- the junk drawer.

Whatcha got in yours? You know you have one, too!
~DG

9 comments:

  1. I have not 1, but 2 junk drawers! The Hubs and I both started one when we moved in without telling the other, so now there are two. One holds receipts, instruction manuals, and those "spare parts" when assembling things. The other is truely junk with batteries, barbie shoes, keys from who knows where and any other things I pick up and go, "Hmm, I wonder what this goes to? Well, I'll throw it in here until I figure it out", and of course, I never figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I just blogged about this last month, I believe :) I have 2 junk drawers in the kitchen - one in my bedroom dresser & an entire plastic drawer system of stuff I need to have. But I know exactly where to go when I need something! Hammer, kitchen drawer by door. Paper Clips - in drawer by table. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a junk draw, a junk cabinet and a junk closet. I have all those damn candles too. I don't know why I can't get rid of them. I also have a baggie with all the teeth my kids have lost in one of my junk spots. I know, gross, but I can't get rid of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! This is SO ME TOO! The crazy thing is this junk drawer has moved with us from house to house (and we have had 3 homes in the past 6 years!) You would THINK that the contents would get cleaned up between moves, but I swear we literally toss it in a box and then dump the contents into a new drawer, LOL, the epitome of lazy!

    I totally agree with the looming threat that if we tossed anything out it would be needed that very next day! My junk drawer has many of the same things as yours but also tons of paper - very important paper (I'm sure) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have one too but it's so damn full I can't get it open to throw the whole damn thing out the window. Denial denial denial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I defintely have one (or two or three) of these!!! We have dozens of push pins (but I don't have a bulletin board so who knows what I plan on using them for), randon tools, hair bands, paper clips, pens and pencils, coins from Ireland (because I will really need those), scissors of all sizes, and much more. I also have random bday candles. They are cracked and useless but I can't throw them out either!!! Someday...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Batteries, pliers, leather cord, push pins, paper clips, a 6in metal crab (no idea where it came from or why I have it), a tiara(again where did this come from???), nails, glue gun refills (but not the glue gun, go figure), and I think my dignity is in there somewhere playing tennis with my sanity. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a junk office. It is very sad. I wish I could post a picture for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The is a drawer on my living room coffee table and one on the end table...great place to throw all the marbes, AA batteries that have fallen out of the remote, bobby pins and spare change that I find when I sweep. Also today I saw several cassette tapes, a littlest pet shop, two rubber stamps, a pocket knife, ear buds and a non functional digital camera. Thanks for diving into the junk draawer for us.

    ReplyDelete

Support random acts of kindness and leave me a nice comment..it totally counts as a good deed.