Friday

Man Cannot Live on One Movie Alone...


Look at her on this desert island - she looks like she's eating well!

So yesterday I asked a question on my Facebook page...


DID YOU KNOW  Kevin Costner turned down the role of Andy Dufresne, a decision he strongly regretted later on. Ya think?  (IMDB)

2.  Better Off Dead:  John Cusack is a heartmelter in this one.  Who of us DIDN'T want to be his girlfriend after watching this?!! 




Lane Myer: Johnny...
Johnny: Four weeks, twenty papers, that's two dollars. Plus tip.
Lane Myer: Gee Johnny, I don't have a dime.
Johnny: Didn't ask for a dime. Two dollars.
Lane Myer: Well... it's funny see... my mom, had to leave early to take my brother to school and my dad to work cuz...
Johnny: ...two dollars... cash.
Lane Myer: See... the problem here is that... my little brother, this morning, got his arm caught in the microwave, and uh... my grandmother dropped acid and she freaked out, and hijacked a school bus full of... penguins, so it's kind of a family crisis... so come back later? Great.

DID YOU KNOW...According to Savage Steve Holland (writer/director), the film is mostly autobiographical. Holland really was suicidal when his high school girlfriend left him for captain of the ski team. Also, he really did have a paperboy named Johnny Gasparini who would harass him for two dollars. According to Holland, when the film came out, the ex-girlfriend contacted him to apologize. (IMDB)  I bet she did.

3.  The Princess Bride:   INCONCEIVABLE!  There is so much to love about this movie.  Cute little Fred Savage...the beautiful Robin Wright...the hilarious one liners that are repeated over and over again.  I am so happy to know that this made it to the Top 3.  Directed by the hilarious Rob Reiner and starring the very handsome Cary Elwes (Wesley).



DID YOU KNOW According to author William Goldman, when he was first trying to get the movie made in the 1970s, a then-unknown Arnold Schwarzenegger wanted to play Fezzik, and he was strongly being considered because Goldman could never get his first choice, Andre the Giant, to read for the role. By the time the movie was made about 12 years later, Arnold was such a big star they could not afford him, Andre was cast after all and the two big men had gone on to become friends. (IMDB)

4.  Dirty Dancing -   Nobody puts Dirty Dancing in anything but the top 5 favorite movies!  Patrick Swayze (RIP) is sheer hotness in every aspect of this film.  Jennifer Grey's laugh is contagious and the music is unstoppable.


DID YOU KNOW   In the scene where Johnny and Baby are practicing dancing, and she keeps laughing when he runs his arm down hers, it was not part of the scene, she was actually laughing and his frustration was genuine. They left it because it was effective. Her falling over in this scene was unplanned too. (IMDB) 

5.  The Notebook:  This is no surprise is it?  This gut wrenching - tale as old as time - of different social classes falling in love is one we can watch over and over again.  We not only adore the handsome Ryan Gosling but Rachel McAdams is so darn cute that we love her too.  Allie's memory loss is heartbreaking and Noah's undying love is even more so.



DID YOU KNOW  Ryan Gosling  prepared for his role by living in Charleston, South Carolina before filming began. For two months, he rowed the Ashley River in the morning and built furniture during the day.
He built the kitchen table featured in the movie in preparation for his role as Noah. (IMDB)
That's it! That's the Top 5!  Some other top contenders were:
Love Actually....this is one of my all time favorite movies to watch at Christmas!  Has the perfect combination of funny, sad, serious - all of it wrapped up into one great movie.  The soundtrack is pretty awesome too.

Step Brothers - If you are having a bad day - go and grab this movie and watch it.  It is so stupid it's funny and Will Ferrell plays one of his funniest roles ever and John C. Reilly is hilarious, too.  It's a bit raunchy but probably not too over the top - and totally worth the belly laughs.

 Brennan:  I swear, I'm so pissed off at my mom. As soon as she's of age, I'm putting her in a home.




Honorable Mentions:
Joy Luck Club
Steel Magnolias
The Breakfast Club
Pretty Woman




Thanks so much for playing along....stay tuned for more movie fun!

Cheers and Love - and Keep Moviequoting Alive..
DG

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Unfortunately, this survey doesn't 'go to eleven..'

      That is one of my faves though - I quote it all the time..
      "can i raise a practical question at this point?"
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGSSe1voBz0

      Delete
  2. I was too embarrassed to comment on your Facebook poll because my taste in movies is, admittedly, lame. I couldn't decide between Can't Buy Me Love, Clueless or Down To You. There's just something about cheeseball teen flicks that do it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whaaaat? Too embarrassed!? no way dude..love those movies too - I'm right there with ya..love cheesy. xo

      Delete
  3. I guess I am not one of your typical readers! The only movie I like on the list (of the ones I've seen) is The Notebook.
    Kort

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't even seen two of the top 5--now there is an excuse to spend some quality time on my couch this weekend...and I think my son would like Better off Dead--I always forget about that one---TWO DOLLARS! So bonding and making myself more culturally actualized!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say, Bring it On is one of the movies I will sit & watch whenever it comes on. I don't know why I can't turn it off...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved this post! FUN FUN! Better Off Dead! FAVORITE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must say, I have never seen Better Off Dead, and I am so grateful to you for putting it on my radar, because HELLO, John Cusack???

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't see the question on facebook (cell service was shoddy where I was), but I totally would have said Dirty Dancing! LOVE LOVE LOVE! Not only could I watch exclusivly that movie, I have! For like a year, when I moved out on my own, it played in a loop on my VCR. If the TV was on - that was on it! Great and fun movie quoting! <3 Devan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am just now seeing this, so I'll throw my vote in for Beautiful Girls. This seems to be a relatively unknown movie with an all-star cast and some of the best one-liners ever (most delivered by an adorable young Natalie Portman). If you haven't seen, you should.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been able to do the entire pre-wedding beauty parlor scene from Steel Magnolias since I was 8 years old. "Don't talk about me like I'm not here!" And "I can run to Texas and back, but my daugh-ter ca-an't. Shenevercould!" And "Half o' Chiquapin Parish would give their eyeteeth to take a whack at Ouiser!" And "It looks like two pi-igs, fightin' unda a blanket."

    <3

    ReplyDelete

Support random acts of kindness and leave me a nice comment..it totally counts as a good deed.