Wednesday

One Year of (Mostly) Blissful Blogging..




Today is my one year Facebook Page-iversary, and one year of published blogging.  Funny how time flies when you are writing....

After last Friday's events, I couldn't help but question why I do what I do.  Do I continue doing what I'm doing?  Why bother?  A sense of helplessness and hopelessness took over this past weekend and I thought, I've done it a year - is it really that important in the scheme of things?

My answer.

Yes.

Most of you that have been with me forever know that one common thread through my blogging year is making the world a little smaller, a little less scary, a little happier, a little more positive.  Just as I used my blog and Facebook page as a safe place to go and find the funny or the thought of the day, I know many of you came here for that, too.  For that, I thank you.  For that, I will continue to do what I do, albeit somewhat unimportant and silly but a necessity for my sanity.

Looking back over the past year, this is what I think about.

YOU.
It never ceases to amaze me that people read and enjoy my blog, my thoughts, my experiences.  I love the fact that I have been able to reach out to people that I would have never met otherwise, and touched a cyberhand in some way.  It's like imaginary friends coming to life.  It's like opening my Laptop to find a group of people smiling and waving to me - it's like hearing applause every time I type.  I am so grateful to you for your kindness, your 'ear' or more like your eyes that read, and your simulated shoulder I lean on every day to help me organize my thoughts, share my stories, and laugh with me too.  Thank you.  Those two words don't do my feelings justice.


YOU. 

THE KINDNESS OF STRANGERS
Some of the support that I have gotten on random not-so-good experiences this past year has floored me.  Just taking two minutes out of your day to comment or send an email expressing a caring thought or kind word has meant more than you can know.  Many of you have even trusted me to help you get your blog started.  I will never be able to tell you how honored I feel that you called on me for help - so thank you.  And for those of you who have written me thank you emails for helping you get through a tough day or rough patch - those letters are kept safe in a file folder for days when I question why I do what I do.  Those letters have come to my rescue on the not-so-good days.  So again, so much gratitude!



SHARING YOUR STORIES
Comments on blogs are like an easy drug, especially the good ones.  When you open up and share your experiences and thoughts, and believe me when I tell you I read every single one of them, I am so happy.  I may not comment on every single one, though I'd like to, but I read them and think about them, and appreciate them.  I am sure I speak for others, too, when I say that they enjoy reading your comments and thoughts, too.  I like to think of this blog as a safe place to share - and you, my readers, have never once that I can remember, shot anyone down for their way of thinking.  Respectful, civil dialog is still possible in this world.  Again, Thank You.


Thanks for not doing this. . . . lol!


THE FRIENDSHIPS
Where do I start on this?  From BlogHer 2012 when I met some of the most wonderful people on the Internet in person, to Chicago's Blogger Weekend, to people that I haven't met in person that I feel I can call friends - I have been fortunate to grow my circle of friends through this blog.  I love knowing that by putting myself out there, and trusting people with my blather, I have been repaid by the universe in long lasting, special friendships.  In turn, I have also been able to share others' experiences - such as their long - awaited pregnancies, a year of being sober, fighting cancer, surviving a car accident, raising twins that were born too early, fighting domestic violence, etc. etc.   I have become a more sympathetic, well - rounded person which each of these blogs that I read. 


THE FUNNIES
The memes, the pics, the stories, the comics - - the ecards.  Oh how they make me laugh to make them, to share them, to read the comments on them.  That is my biggest joy - being able to spread belly laughs through the silliness of every day life.  Laughter truly is the best medicine.

One of my all-time favorites.


I don't have a nanny - but I can so relate to this and it makes me laugh every time I see it.

What was I going to say about this one?  I forgot.

THE MONEY
In the past year of blogging and running a group page, I have made $120.  52 weeks = $120.  I'm no math major but I think that works out to be $10.00/month...33 cents a day.  Who makes that kind of money these days?  At this rate, by the time I am 90 years old, I can buy something really nice with my blog money.  Ahh, thank goodness I don't do it for the money.  If I got paid in laughs, which in my mind I do, I'd be one rich lady....and as far as the soul goes, I'm as rich as Rockefeller. 


$100/year salary...yep, that sounds about right.

So for all of this, I thank you.

Cheers to another blissful year of blogging...
With Gratitude and Love..
~DG

14 comments:

  1. I love your blog! Can't wait to see what next year brings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you a Happy 1st Blogg-iversary....and many, many more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing with us! Happy anniversary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading a variety of blogs but I rarely comment. I just wanted to let you know that you are wonderful to read each morning with my coffee :) You make me laugh and also inspire a lot of thought regarding current events. I especially thought your post in the wake of the shooting was very well written and thoughtful. Thank you for sharing yourself with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I laughed so hard at the salary comment. In my 5 or so months of blogging I'm up to $11...not worthy of a check from Google yet. If I did it for the money I would be...let's call "intellectually challenged". :-) I'm so glad I landed on your site! Happy blog-iversary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Bloggiversary to you! I hope there was cake, or chocolate, or at least a piece of candy in the bottom mod your purse that you had forgotten about and were excited to see! I have enjoyed reading your funny stuff, advice stuff and basically everything I have read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad I found you very early on. Love reading your stuff and "knowing" you! <3 Devan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just think of where we would be if not for this? It's so good to think about how much our lives have changed in just one short year. Congratulations my friend, and here's to many more. Love you xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am bawling...but this isnt about me, it's about you and how you have made the workd a better, and funnier placce for an entire year! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your one year anniversary. It is also one year since I "met" you. I am so happy that I can now call you my friend. I see that AbFab pic and I imagine it's us. You're Patsy, by the way. I'm also happy you crossed that elusive $100 mark, now Google Ads will finally send you a check!! Let's try and double your ad revenue in 2013! Much love, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank YOU for keeping it up (and also making me feel like I'm not the only nutcase in the world, hihi). Efcharistó polí!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love popping over to read your stuff. DH spent nearly 3 years unemployed, then we moved across the country for a job, only to be laid off at Thanksgiving just under 6 months later. To say the less it's been a stressful time, and kids and their loving but annoying selves sometimes just make me want to scream. I can always pop over for a funny reality check. I'm not a funny person at all, and you help me keep the humor alive and life in perspective. Thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete

Support random acts of kindness and leave me a nice comment..it totally counts as a good deed.