Tuesday

Why I do What I do...



Most of you know how I feel about January, 2013 so far.  I think it has been a real asshole to many.  Between sickness, a few losses to Cancer, bitter cold, bad news and other untimely aggravations, it's almost gotten the best of me.

Most of you also know that the reason I started this blog over a year ago was to make my corner of the world, or even my contribution to the world, a few funnies when you need them.  A silly story here, an outrageous opinion there, nothing too serious, some random thoughts, some relatable content.  I'm not trying to get rich with the pennies that I've accumulated over 13 months, nor do I think I will write the next Oprah book club selection.  I'm just trying to reach people like me who might have had a shitty day, need a giggle, know they're not alone.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Simplicity.

Yesterday I worked, got the kids to and from where they needed to be and sat down for my daily session on Facebook.  As I scrolled through updates and posts, one common trend stuck out.  Admins banning people who had nasty comments, people contradicting a joke that was posted, commenters looking for a fight or a reason to put someone down, people judging each other - etc.  It all weighed heavily on my shoulders.  Granted, I see this kind of stuff all of the time and have learned to scroll, ignore, delete, move along - whatever self -defense mechanisms I've learned through this gig, I've implemented.  But yesterday was different.  Yesterday felt like it was too much to bear.  I slammed my computer shut as if to close the door on every mean person out there and had that random thought pop in my head to just walk away from all of it.  Unplug.  Quit.  Stop trying.  Give in.  Let 'them' win.  Evil Finally Beats Good  was the headline running through my mind.  Instead of going to the pantry to look for every salty, crunchy snack to stand there and graze on until the feelings passed (and instead replaced with feelings of guilt from the bingefest), I got my workout gear on and hit the treadmill.  And I ran.  And every time I wanted to stop, I got mad and pushed through it.  FOUR miles later I was wiped.  I walked a bit more to cool down and I did a mental check, and the thoughts had subsided.  Wow.  This feels good.  A big exhale and I got off the treadmill and jumped in the shower.  All of the anger washed down the drain - I even thought of some funny things somewhere between the 2nd shampoo and conditioning.

This morning, I got up to find an email from another blogger I helped to get started quite a while back.
DG--I’m sorry, but I haven’t been able to get you out of my mind for like two days now.  So I just have to ask...is everything ok?  If so then maybe you are just on my mind.  Not a bad thing, since you are one of the most amazing people I have ever had the blessing to interact with...but..I’m thinking about you.  And sending huge hugs.  Just in case. xo T

And then I remembered why I do what I do.
Connecting with people I'd never normally meet in real life.
Touching the hearts of others with a story.

Reaching out to someone in a similar situation - someone trying to find their place in the world, someone trying to get through Motherhood, someone's hand to hold that would otherwise feel alone.

Her note, though short and sweet, filled me with a renewed sense of purpose. It reminded me that there are two ways to look at everything - you can see the good ( and there is SO much of it out there), or the bad. You can choose to put your energy toward the joy, kindness, friendships, and love of others - or you can let the bad gobble you up and send you sinking in to the deep abyss of depression. It's a battle. Some days it's a tougher battle than others. But damn it - it's a battle I choose to fight.

I may not win any contest - I may not get a book deal - but that's not why I do it. I do this to spread cheer and smiles to others - and though I know I'd be able to help so many more people if I could win Powerball - I feel like I'm already rich from reaping the benefits from the friendships I've formed by putting myself out there.

As I said in my response to "T" when I ask myself "what's wrong with people?" or "why are people so mean?" My answer is - "People" are not mean - some people are mean. The majority of people are still very good. Like her. She is what is right in this world. Taking 2 minutes out of her busy day to just say "hey, not sure if you're ok, but thought I'd just drop a quick note to make sure.." So today I choose to refocus my energy and remember to put my stock into the idea that more people are good than not - they may not get the attention that they deserve - or be in the spotlight - but I can mentally get them back there and notice them - and for that ability alone, I'm grateful.

So "T" (and anyone else sending kind thoughts on a daily basis), I accept your hugs with open arms and a gracious heart, and send my appreciation for reminding me that I can choose to be brought down by the negativity of the miserable people out there, or I can continue to be uplifted by the good and kindness of others.

Good. For the Win.

Until next time...is there someone you should reach out to with a short, sweet note of kindness? What's two minutes out of your day? It could mean more than you know.

Big hugs and love to all of you - until next time,

~DG

15 comments:

  1. DG, you're always so good at reminding us of these kinds of things. You DO make me laugh and I'm thankful for that. You, too, are what is right with this world and I'm so thankful we're friends. (Oh and NICE JOB ON THE FOUR MILES!) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were four ugly painful miles - but I did it! lol! Thank you my friend. so much!

      Delete
  2. You doing what you do inspires me to do what I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, that "T" she is one awesome human, isn't she! I'm glad that her email snapped you out of the ick. Some people do suck - but people like ME would miss you terrible if you shut down for good! So big, fat, juicy smoochies to you!! <3 BTW -- 4 miles?? You go girl!! I'd have been launched off the back after 3 seconds :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes one awesome human to know one - and you are one of them. Believe me, i've fallen off that treadmill plenty of times - it's getting back on that counts. xo love you girl!

      Delete
  4. You have a heart made of solid gold, which is why the nastiness gets to you. Don't let it. Wait, you mean you're supposed to run on the treadmill instead of tossing stuff on it? Interesting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come here you! Squeeze. You are such a love. xo I thought for a long time the treadmill sucked all of the dust out of the room - like a dust machine. little did I know you get more results by getting on it. ;) xo

      Delete
  5. I needed this. Thank you! Keep writing :)

    Amanda
    Diaryofanangrypregnantlady.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this wonderful reminder. As a third-year high school teacher, I can relate--too often, I go home feeling frustrated or discouraged at the kids who were particularly negative and it makes me second guess myself and what I do. But reminders like yours are a nice kick in the pants that make me think about the majority of my students who are wonderful and kind and respectful and always do what is asked of them.

    So thanks for taking (probably more than) 2 minutes to share this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have the toughest job in the world - but you also hold in your hands the ability to make one little life a little more special. Looking for the good will always make you feel great and fill your heart up. xo

      Delete
  7. "And then I remembered why I do what I do.
    Connecting with people I'd never normally meet in real life.
    Touching the hearts of others with a story."

    This is what you do for me! <3 Devan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Devan - your support and kindness continues to amaze me. You do for so many exactly what I wrote about in this blog.
      Cheers and love..xo

      Delete

Support random acts of kindness and leave me a nice comment..it totally counts as a good deed.