Thursday

10 Telltale Signs You May Have Watched Too Much Downton Abbey

That's me with the cast of Downton.  Or so it feels like I'm part of the family after watching too many episodes.


(DISCLAIMER:  THERE ARE NO SPOILERS IN THIS BLOG)

I'm always a day late and a dollar short to stuff.  It's typical DG form.  It took forever for me to succumb to the Twilight Books, 50 Shades of Gray, Twitter, Pinterest and other Pop Culture-y kinds of stuff.  I have to dip my toe in when it comes to things that Social Media peer pressures me into investigating.  That being said - once I give in, I almost always become completely obsessed with it and give myself a V8 hit in the forehead - like well why didn't I do that a long time ago!

About 9 months ago, my dear friend Jen at People I Want to Punch in the Throat and I were chatting and she casually asked me if I watched  Downton Abbey.  It was the first I had heard of it so I can only assume she was in the midst of a fresh love affair with the show.  I answered that I did not and she strongly encouraged me to do so - that it was really entertaining and I would love it just like she did.  I made a mental note, and as with most things, that mental note blew away in to the New Hampshire air after only a few minutes. About a month ago, she posted a blog called Which Downton Character Are You  (WARNING! THIS HAS SPOILERS SO IF YOU ARE MID-DOWNTON, PRE-DOWNTON, THINKING ABOUT DOWNTON - DO NOT READ!) anyhow, she posted that and I thought if she's posting about Downton - then it must be good.  One of my very dearest friends, Carolyn kept asking if I had watched it yet and I knew she was dying to pull me in to the obsession. Then two of my other dear blogging friends The Bearded Iris and Frugalista Blog were talking/raving about Downton and I caved.  ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT I'LL DO IT.

I was just about to re-start my Dreadmill Routine so I figured I'd grab my ipad, pull up Netflix and start watching.  My promise to myself was that I would/could only watch it on. the. treadmill.   I am now at the last episode of Season 3 and I am so beyond hooked that I think I might have a problem. (Sidenote: Netflix only has Season 1 - I downloaded Seasons 2 and 3 from itunes). Here are some telltale signs you too might be watching too much Downton Abbey...

1.  You have a desire for Tea.  And you know how I love coffee...   But all of this DA has me craving tea.  They drink tea constantly.  Worried? Tea.  Can't sleep? Tea.  Bored? Tea.  Visitor?  Tea.  TEA TEA TEA!   I only drink tea when I am on my death bed with the flu.  I'm starting to rethink and tinker with the idea of cheating on Juan Valdez.  Blasphemy - I know.  This is the power of Downton.

Which brings me to another dilemma...I feel like I really, really need a Butler.  (source: keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk)

 2.  You start to feel guilty for never polishing or using the Silver set your grandmother gave you.  And those beautiful shiny copper pots in Mrs. Patmore's kitchen make me want to give my cookware the boot.


(source: pinterest.com)

3.  You are slightly offended that you have to make your own dinner -and even more offended once you realize that YOU are the Carson of your own home, answering your your family's dinner needs.  You eat last - and you are on clean up duty with Daisy.

(Source:visiontv.ca)

4.  You are completely annoyed by the blatant mis-pronunciation of DOWNTON and you stop wondering why they didn't just name it DOWNTOWN to begin with.

(source: someecards.com)

5.  Out of guilt, you stop throwing dishes and silverware on the table like you did Pre-Downton and start cautiously folding the napkins with care.

(source: gentlemansgazette.com)

6.  Upon hearing the words "I'm Laura Linney" you get an adrenaline rush.

(source: heckyeahdowntonabbey.tumblr.com)


7.  Your thoughts now have a British Accent.

(source:tumbler.com)

8. You ask your kids to call you Mama and Papa and have to fight the urge to answer people with Yes M'Lord and Yes M'Lady.


(source:google.com)
9.  Every time you go to swear you hear Maggie Smith say "My Dear, Vulgarity is No Substitute for Wit."


(credit: themetapicture.com)


 10.  Your facial expressions start to mimic/resemble Cousin Violet (Maggie Smith).

Very pleased. (google images)
Surprised. (google images)

Displeased.(source: socialitelife.com)
That's all for now loves - the Dreadmill and Downton await my arrival.  I am all too excited - and to quote our Dear Cousin Violet - at my age, one must ration one's excitement.

(source: pinterest.com)

Pinky's Up, Clinks, Cheers, and Love from the Early 1900's...
~DG

28 comments:

  1. I love Downton Abbey! I am already salivating for Season 4. I first encountered the show randomly on PBS in the middle of Season 2. I was so hooked after seeing one episode I watched all of Season 1 and what I had missed of Season 2 over the course of one 24 hour period. Dishes piled up in the sink, emails went unanswered, I was happy in the land of Downton and didn't want to leave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I started watching - I thought season 4 was already out - so now, I find myself with the shakes, withdrawals and desperate need to watch BBC. I love the land of Downton..thanks for 'getting it..'

      Delete
  2. Oh God, you got the DA bug bad girl. And YAY! I'm so happy for you, because I too was late to this party and watched all three seasons over the course of about 2 weeks this winter. If I loved it any more than I do, I'd be arrested for stalking. Such an awesome post. I think I need to create a DA pinboard now so I can easily come back here and drool! Giving you a Dowager look of rationed enthusiasm and approval. XO Leslie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I blame and thank you Iris Beard! Dowager look of excitement to you! xo

      Delete
  3. So great. My favorite: realizing you're the Carson of your family. It stings a bit, doesn't it?

    For the first time, I'm going to admit in public that I own a Free Bates shirt... and I wear it every Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was kind of cleansing to just admit that I am nothing but a Butler..and most days more like 2nd footman...lol!! I love that you own a FB shirt. I would wear it with pride. Sometimes, I even feel the need to walk with a limp and a cane. lol!!

      Delete
  4. Oh my dear girl, spot on. I daydream of long, slender gloves and beautiful flapper gowns. I have been drinking more tea. And swearing less. I want to be VIOLET. Just not as old and wrinkly. My favorite favorite line that made me fall madly in love with her was when she chastised the poor dead Turkish man because he had the audicity to die in someone else's home! I haven't watched Season 3 yet. I'm dying. And now that it's almost Spring here in New Orleans I want to host a tea where we are dress quite appropriately and pretend we are ladies. sigh.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your response in Cousin Violet's voice...you are so very convincing! I must have you over for luncheon and we can discuss the goings on of this show. But please, do yourself the kind favor and do watch Season 3..so much excitement awaits...

      Delete
  5. Started season 1 on Sat afternoon(had to update after talking to netflix so I wasnt able to watch Sun)and finished season 2 Wed night. Stayed up late to finish and woke up late this morning for work. LOL! Season 3 isnt on netflix but PBS is showing the entire season on Sunday. So I'll dvr it and watch as soon as the husband goes to bed. And I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's hysterical! I can just imagine you thinking "just one more episode and then I'll go to bed!" Enjoy every minute! xo

      Delete
  6. I watched all three seasons in about a week until I caught up to the ones on TV. I barely spoke to my family, I felt quite put upon that they dared even speak to me when I had the sacred headphones on. I have been drinking more tea, my thoughts were so British that I would have to edit and de-britishify my Facebook posts because my friends were starting to be concerned. Now I am in a post downton depression. I think I need a spot of tea, that should help, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. De-britishify - - awesome - simply awesome. I love that your friends were concerned because that means I am not nearly as alone in my addiction. Let's have tea together...xo Clinks!

      Delete
  7. You mean it's not called DownTOWN Abbey? This entire time... I thought...

    And now I may just have to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU MUST!!
      And don't worry - I totally thought it was downtown too. ;)

      Delete
  8. #6 and #10! This is so funny. And scarily all so true. Always love obsessing with another DA fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obsession with tv...bringing people together! Love it!

      Delete
  9. Welcome to the Very. Best. Television. EVER!!! I am a confirmed Dowtonaholic, and wouldn't have it any other way. Even with Season 3's Dire Developments, of which I shall not speak (unlike plenty of others who did their level best to ruin things for us Americans), I will be waiting on the edge of my velvet cushion for next season. Love, worship and adore this show. And yes, I want a Carson ever so badly, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DOWNTONAHOLIC???? OMG my new favorite word!!! I am waiting ...ever so impatiently for Season 4. xo

      Delete
  10. I must admit...I email my friend who lives in the UK for some spoillers when I know she gets to watch it and I still have to wait months for the season to begin...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In 2013 you would think that we are sophisticated enough to share the tv love w/ the UK...via the internet or something??? Bastards. How could they make us wait so long?

      Delete
  11. I purchased Seasons 1-2 to watch on a 16 hour plane trip to China. I got sucked into the free movies on the plane and never got around to DA. On a trip to visit family for Christmas I started watching and completely ignored everyone for 3 days, while I sat with my tablet engrossed in the show, hour after hour. Barely got out of my pajamas the entire visit. I love that show and hope that they sync the UK and US season 4, because I accidentally saw a spoiler early in season 3 and it was horrible knowing ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I love it! OMG you accidentally saw a spoiler? How absolutely terrorizing! I knew one thing while watching that I saw in a magazine and THAT was bad enough. Now if I see anything DOWNTON-LIKE I look for a spoiler alert first - but so many people don't put it...I don't want to know until I'm watching!

      Delete
  12. I'm a Downtonaholic too. I love everything about it. But I love making fun of it as well. Have you seen the website that does If Downton Abbey was on Facebook? What are we going to do for the next 11 months?? Watch reruns??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know WHAT we are to do - why 11 months - that's a terrible awful joke to pull on us - absolutely dreadful *Violet's face of disapproval* xoxo

      Delete
  13. You are killing me. I don't watch television anymore. But reading these comments, and knowing that some of my friends are also hooked...you know I'm going to have to watch. And then I know I'm going to be hooked too. Sigh. At least we have a 36 inch screen. I still have visions of watching the re-runs of all six seasons of West Wing back to back..to back to back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dip your toe in girl ,the water is warm!! You will love it...I promise you that. PEER PRESSURE! xoxo

      Delete
  14. I, too, am a Downtonoholic! I received a Kindle Fire for Christmas (actually came in January) and the Prime subscription offered the first 2 seasons of DA free. I began with the first episode and was HOOKED - line and sinker, to the bottom of a pond at Downton Abbey! I have always thought I was some sort of royalty in a previous life (haven't we all, girls?) and now picture myself in the early 20's! I love them all...each and every character! Well, I hate Thomas, the scoundrel he is! I read each of your posts with my Dowager Crowley voice - who doesn't love MAGGIE FREAKING SMITH! Oops....the vulgarity quote again! I haven't seen all of season 3 yet, missed the all dayer on PBS, but I will get them from Amazon or iTunes. I feel as though I have a better life since I have discovered Downton! Oh, the gloves, the HATS, the tuxedos, the moulding! Life is truly better.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. in Cousin Violet's voice "Oh my dear..you MUST watch the rest of Season 3..." It is just...just...ugh. I can't even talk about it. xoxo

      Delete

Support random acts of kindness and leave me a nice comment..it totally counts as a good deed.