Friday

Death of a Facebook Page

A big welcome to the 6 of you who will see this....thanks for coming to pay your respects...read on.

I've already picked out my tombstone and mentally prepared for the death of my Facebook page.


In the beginning Zuck created Facebook.
And it was good.

What Zuck Giveth, Zuck Taketh Away.


In the beginning, the excitement of logging in was a rush.

How many friend requests would you have that day?
Who haven't you heard from in years that you'd love to reconnect with?
Did anyone post on my wall today?
How many notifications will I have waiting for me?
SQUEEEEEEEE  I LOVE FACEBOOK!
I hope someone poked me today!

And then Zuck said: Let there be Fan Pages; and he made fan pages.
And they were good.

We didn't even know what we were doing when we hit "like" but it was funny, so we did.

And some of us became Fan Page Admins - and it was fun.

And Zuck said:  Let there be Wars, Mafia Wars.  And it was good.


But then Zuck said, Let there be changes to your wall: And the newsfeed was born.  It it was....confusing.



Remember when that happened, no one could figure out where anything was? And then this went around:



And then just as everyone figured out how to use the new facebook...we got the "it's time to switch to Timeline" notice.

And the complaints continued, but we rolled with  it pretty well.
www.someecards.com


But things were still good for FB Fan pages.  We had interaction, we posted funny photos and ecards and jokes and questions.  And it was good.

And then Fan pages had to switch to timeline and suddenly, things were not so good.

But Fan pages pressed on.  Shared things. Grew bigger. Still had fun.  Still pimped other pages and tagged them when they did. We could see where new friends came from and who to thank when they did. And pages grew - and it was good.
But then He took away tagging and we could no longer see who shared us.  And if they shared and included our page name, fewer people would see it.  It was very bad.


And Zuck said, let Facebook be made public.  And it went public.  And it was...errrr...what was it?

And He said..let us Pay to Promote!  And that was bad. We're just Admins, we don't get paid - whatever shall we pay with?  Peanuts? Beans? Giggles? No money, no funny. Not good.  But we kept the faith, and hoped that through sharing, our posts would be seen.



And then they decided to stop showing our posts to people. And that's when the slow, painful bleed began.

1000 people saw this post - out of 45,000.  I'm no math major but, that kind of zucks.



And Page Admins got frustrated...

and confused..

and angry..
and finally, acceptance..

This is the stage I am in.  I am prepared and ready to accept the death of my page.  It was so much fun when you could just post something, interact with people and enjoy the hobby.  It's not fun when you're sitting there having a conversation with yourself because no one sees the posts anymore.  I'm not deleting it or quitting, just putting it all in perspective.  It's hard when you spend time trying to get funnies out there, and then only 1% see it - don't get me wrong, I LOVE MY 1%.  I just have to keep it real that things have changed.  I will still be around because let's face it - I can't quit - it's an addiction - but I can make the changes needed to accept that it's not the same.  I LOVE my fans.  LOVE THEM. And I appreciate all of you no matter what.  



My FB page is on life support, and I'm at peace with that.  I'll miss you my friend, but I am comforted by memories of good times, and will find solace in Twitter, Blogger, Pinterest and Instagram. Oh, who am I kidding, I'll be holding your hand until you're gone for good.  Until the next time something strikes me as funny and I post it to my 6 people...

Seen by 6.  <slow clap> Bravo.


Cheers and Love,
DG

35 comments:

  1. You know I am right here with you. We rise together, we fall together. As long as we have each other. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel you. I love posting something and at the end of the day seeing that 18 people saw it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JK - that's so frustrating isn't it? Hope you can find another way to get your stuff seen that doesn't involve paying to promote! xo

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Carin - you have been so kind to support me for so long. I'm so grateful. xo truly.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hi sweets. Thanks for popping by. xo smooches

      Delete
  5. Que??? I have missed you is there any way / thing I can do to see more of you in my news feed?
    I catch you on my phone fb more than on my PC. Haven't figured out / found which button to click to see you in both

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aunt Cissie, I have no idea either. I wish I knew how to change up who sees what from where? No clue..but I appreciate you caring enough to try. xo

      Delete
  6. I do read it and I do share ~ but the Corporate greed of Zuck lives on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Same here for an arts organization. We live and die by publicity and are at its mercy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to read this Virginia. I hope you guys can find an alternative way to promote your organization. :)

      Delete
  8. Well said. I keep hoping for a change that will benefit pages. Until then...life support for all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hear ya! Not liking this :( So....how/where do I subscribe?? I don't want to lose you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still trying to figure that out Jenny! If I do, I'll let you know. xo

      Delete
  10. I, unfortunately, entered the blogosphere around the time all the bad changes were being made, so my little fan page got very few likes. And then when I got more from spending WAY TOO MUCH TIME pimping myself out, I'd post and get .1 people seeing it.
    I do love pinterest and twitter though, and I am growing there every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is, I'd still blog even if I knew no one was reading -because it is a hobby that I love...even thought somedays I hate it..:) I know it's frustrating -but keep doing it if you love it! I'll see you on twitter and ptrest! xo

      Delete
  11. I shared this on my FB page... but no one saw it. : (

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BAHAHAA..niki was that supposed to be funny - because I just cracked up - ahh the irony. xo tx for sharing.

      Delete
  12. Come hell or high water,snow or earth quakes....If I don't see you I will look for you until I find you , I have an addiction to your page!! I need my daily fix no matter what time I get it .I still wanna read everything you post!! Perseverance is the word for the day!!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Paula - we are friends till the end. Love and gratitude for sticking with me. xo

      Delete
  13. So the low number doesn't just mean nobody wants to see my posts...I suppose I will take some comfort in that speck of info. Now I wonder what you've been posting that I haven't seen!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way girl! Nothing personal at all - they love you when they see you! xo

      Delete
  14. I started the Page I admin a year ago in April, so Timeline was already established and Newsfeed... I know no other way. HOWEVER, I certainly am feeling the pain of busting my butt to put up good content only to have it go nowhere fast, because gee whiz, I haven't given them $100 lately. Fortunately, I do have a boss who's willing to spend *some* money (like $50/mo) and I'm trying to dole that out and keep the stupid algorithm happy. Still, usually it's post and pray time and it makes me pretty mad on a daily basis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh the post - n- pray method! I hadn't thought of that! lol! you are awesome. xo

      Delete
  15. Awww :( I'm seeing this same stuff from a lot of my favorite bloggers. Time to find another facebook that doesn't pull this crap. I will still look for you gurl! Heather from Boston.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Heather! I'll be here when you look for me! Hope you are well!! xo

      Delete
  16. One door closes, another one opens. Blah, blah, blah- but it's true. But I had no idea you had a FB page, anyway. Still love the blog and fully expect laughs when I stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I guess I'll just need to drive to your house so you can make me laugh in person.

    ReplyDelete
  18. People can now choose to get notifications every time you post. Just hover over the page name on a post then click get notifications on the drop down menu. Then they are sure to see it. When they check notifications they can go right to your post without having to read the whole news feed to find it. Personally, I prefer this way because who has time to scroll through their entire newsfeed to find the posts from all the pages they like. Makes it so much easier and more people can see it. Obviously this is from the readers side, not the bloggers. But post these instructions and I bet lots of people will read your stuff. I couldn't imagine having to go to all the individual pages to find the bloggers posts I want to read. I am addicted to blogs and read about 20. This has it all in one place. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Preach, Sister. I am about to sign the DNR order. Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  20. In a strange "tiny blogger" sort of way I find this to be a bit of a relief. It isn't because my memes suck...
    if your meme is funny in the forest does anybody know?

    ReplyDelete

Support random acts of kindness and leave me a nice comment..it totally counts as a good deed.